Hypothyroidism is the underactivity of thyroid gland where there is a decrease in the production of thyroid hormones. This condition is more common in women than in men. Hypothyroidism is also a auto immune disorder commonly known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis.Deficiency of Iodine can lead to hypothyroidism.
Surgery partial or total thyroidectomy and Radio active Iodine treatment can lead to permanent hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism may be triggered due to other factors like pregnancy, emotional disturbances,stress,anxiety, unhealthy lifestyle,loss,grief etc.
The most common symptoms associated with hypothyroidism are weight gain, depression, fatigue, insomnia,brain fog,hair loss, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis etc.Usually hypothyrodism is treated with Levythroxine or Synthroid hormones which can help in restoring the hormonal balance.But the severity of the disease and its symptoms doesn't subside with just these hormone replacement treatment. The thyroid glands function can be restored to normal or somewhere near normal through alternative therapies and remedies. But for patients who have lost their glands due to surgery may have to suffer with this condition throughout their lifetime but the associated symptoms with this disease can be kept in a check by following natural treatment protocols.
4. Slow reflexes
6. Low body temperature
8. Brain fog
9. Dry skin
10. Irregular menstrual cycles
11. Body temperature less than 97.8 degrees
TREATING HYPOTHYROIDISM NATURALLY
1. Drink plenty of water upto eight glasses as this will help in flushing the toxins accumulated in our body.
2. Switch to foods which contain lots of fibre as they provide roughage thereby eliminating constipation. Consume lots of fresh fruits as well as vegetables.Avoid MSG,breads,pizzas,carbonated drinks,sweets and alcoholic beverages.Avoid artificial sweeteners like aspartames, etc and make use of Rock salt.
3. Selenium plays a very important role in treating thyroid conditions.Brazil nuts are rich in selenium and eating two brazilnuts a day can treat selenium deficiency.
4. Supplements like Magnesium,Iron,calcium and even Iodine can help combat hypothyroidism.
5. Omega three fatty acids have a tendency to fight inflammation and sources of omega 3 fatty acids are walnuts,flax seeds and salmon fish oil.
6. Guggul supplements a extract of commiphora mukul is found to be very effective in activating thyroid hormone production. It also helps in reducing the cholesterol levels and also aids in weight loss.Its a medicine used by ayurvedic doctors to treat osteoarthritis,haemorrhoids,high cholesterol and also weight loss.
7. Practise yoga regularly with breathing exercises. Poses like shoulder stand,fish pose,thunder bolt pose,boat pose,cobra pose,camel pose and wheel pose can stimulate the function of the thyroid gland by energising it. Breathing exercise like pranayam,kapalbhati and ujjayi pranayam definitely helps in fighting hypothyroidism.
8.Reduce stress by getting adequate sleep atleast 6 to 8 hours per day. Foot reflexology can help in relaxing and clearing the blockages to all the organs therby increasing the blood supply and oxygen flow.
9. Detoxifying the liver can help in getting rid of toxins like bacteria,fungus,microbes and even chemicals like lead,mercury,arsenic,bromides,flourides,cadmium etc.
10. To combat fatigue you can try vitamin B supplements mainly B6 and B12. Buy supplement from reputed health care pharmacies which are hundred percent genuine and not the supplements which are synthetic in nature.
11. Consider taking supplements which has probiotics as it contains useful bacteria which is necessary for the healthy functioning of our digestive system.
12. Practise meditation regularly as it helps in relieving stress by calming the nerves as well as brain.